Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Sprout it out

I was having a dream about being in a building where the elevators were going wild: stopping at the wrong floor, swinging and rocking, doors opening too fast to let people out. I went to the top floor and managed to get out. I practically slid down the steps to the bottom floor. I tried to help a paraplegic who had been taken out of her wheelchair to be hauled up steps. And then the alarm rang. I did not get up for a while. When I did, I swished and exercised, knowing Tuesday mornings are short. I checked e-mail and read a long one from a member of our congregation who is chronicling his fight with cancer. I tapped for him. I found some new batteries for the mini-tape player that Ann handed me two weeks ago. I figured out how to run it, but not how to turn it off. I looked up the manual online. Then I juiced and went to quilting. I got to show off my blue and white quilt top. The group talked about making a field trip to visit all the quilt shops in the Chattanooga area for Row-by-Row. After that, I went to the Asian store for kimbap and kimchi. A man in line said he had nothing but time. I asked how he did it and he said he was disabled and allergic to work. On the way home I got a phone call from Rebecca and her husband who were parked in my driveway. I got home in the next two minutes. He discussed the various levers on the riding mower and drove it around a little. Then we talked about hydroponics which he just started. It rained and then the sun came out. After they left, I brought in the mail, and ate kimbap with kimchi (which will be better in Korea). I checked e-mail, and watched a permaculture video. Somehow I started a game of Bejeweled while looking for my usual Free Cell. I had to stop to run to the farmer’s market. I bought cucumbers, lettuce, goats milk, and peppers. When I got home, I cleaned the juicer and the hand mixer. Then I processed a package of thawed blueberries. I drank the juice and put the pulp on parchment paper in the oven to turn into a fruit roll-up. I inoculated some goat milk to start it fermenting. I renewed my TQS account and canceled the American Express card which was about to charge us $100 a year. I took a pic of the contents of a box that belonged to Chris. I moved boxes around in the garage. I sorted through a box of trash that Chris had collected. I selected most of the paper for recycling but kept some for shredding. Also found his social security card in there. I found one of my notebooks from college. I ripped out the parts with class notes. But there was a section that was like a diary I wrote to once every couple of years. Interesting stuff, but I hardly remember it. So I wrote an update. I guess I’ll keep the notebook. I watched an episode of X-Files. It ended with Fox being certain that his sister was dead, but in a better place and he could stop looking for her. I checked e-mail and got side-tracked reading answers to questions on Quora. I started composing my blog and Chris skyped me. He found out that his stuff from Honduras has been in Huntsville since May 18th. He hung up to go take pics since it was finally a sunny day there. I finished my blog post and went to bed.
* This is a pic I took trying to show that sweet potato sprouts are edible. It was in response to a web invitation to show how people grow sprouts. *

No comments: