Thursday, August 6, 2015

Rainy Day

I woke up in the night hearing the wind and rain. Eventually I went back to sleep, and did not want to get up when the alarm went off. I got up later to drink and swish and check e-mail. I put out the rain collection tubs. I had just done my exercises and was washing vegetables to juice when the power went off. I waited a little for it to come on. I heard the AC click but the blower did not start. It must have a battery in it. I sat in my chair to relish the feeling of no electronic waves, when it occurred to me that the cell towers might be working. So I called Chris and got his voice mail. Not sure if that meant anything, I called Denise and she answered. I did not talk long because I only had two bars on my phone. I ate some of the veggies and put the rest in the fridge. I sat to meditate, but got caught in thoughts of 'what if this is how it starts?' Armageddon, the end of the world, etc. Then I thought I might go to quilting early, but maybe they didn't have power either. Then I heard police sirens and thought of the traffic lights being out. I decided to make breakfast. I could not boil water to clean the nuts, but they probably don't really need that. But what about grinding the flax and chia seeds? I wondered if I could use the lawn mower battery to power the grinder. Then I remembered that there were outlets in my car. I had just filled the grinder with seeds and was walking to the door when the lights came on. I immediately plugged in my phone to recharge, in case the power went out again. Denise had said a storm was on its way. I quickly made breakfast and ate it listening to an audio on the laptop, and working a sudoku puzzle. I read e-mail. One was selling software where subliminal messages flash on your computer screen. I figured it should be simple enough to write my own program with a hint or two. I googled that but did not find what I wanted. Lots of programs were for sale however. I threw out a slimy coconut ( I didn't know they did that). I went down to check the basement for water, and stayed to sew the long strips together to finish a quilt top in case the world ended, or if I wanted to add borders. I decided which quilts to enter in the show. I made copies of the patterns that I picked up Tuesday. I wondered if I had anything to show for all the hours I spend reading articles on the web. I printed four quilt show entry forms, and measured the quilted items except for the pulpit cloth. I brought in the mail. A packet contained kefir grains. They looked like squashed cauliflower florets. I put them in goat milk. I made up a week's worth of supplements. I worked downstairs flitting from one thing to another. I tried to finish a quilt project, I sorted scraps, I moved fabric around, I filled a box with bias tape and rickrack and blanket binding. None of it seemed to make a dent in what needs to be done. I swept the bathroom downstairs which was covered in debris from when the guys put up a new ceiling. Finally I came upstairs to have supper. I peeled and ate an egg. While I was making a salad, Chris called on Skype. He said he'd had three beers. He sang to me and we talked until he hung up because he was falling asleep. I kinda felt sleepy myself. I was listening to an audio while I notice Kurt had e-mailed me. So I skype-texted him. We chatted about how to code a macro to run notepad. He tried to talk me through it the way he would do it, but my computer was running different software in a different fashion. We got pretty close though. Then Notepad decided saving was illegal somehow. It was after 11 so I told him we could try again tomorrow. Then I posted and went to bed.
* peppers at the hydroponics farm *

No comments: