Friday, August 28, 2015

The answer to all my problems


I was dreaming of flying (or more like swimming through air) when the alarm went off. I got up, and practiced my trombone because I forgot yesterday. I turned on the router and laptop. My massage therapist recommended shoes with heels and I have one pair that I wear when my achilles tendon is hurt, but they don't stay on very well. So I taped the shoes to my feet with sport tape. I drank a quart of water while listening to audios and clearing e-mail. I put Netflix in the mail. I listened to another audio. I put the new carriage bolts in the A-frames that I found. There were some long pieces with leaders on them so I assembled all the lengths of wood to form a quilt frame. I wondered if I would ever use it (for handquilting) or if I should donate it. I drank some whey and filtered the rest, ending up with a jar of curds. I ate some of the whey/psyllium/probiotic mixture. I juiced and meditated. I called the sewing store in Augusta where I bought my embroidery machine to see if they had a solution to the problem of the software only running on Windows 98. They had updated software but not an adapter so the card reader can be plugged in. The software was $150. I called the Brother company and they put me on hold. Finally I put it on speakerphone and worked in the kitchen. I was making breakfast when the agent answered. She said that the $150 software would only download designs from the internet, not allow me to modify them or to digitize my own. She recommended PE-Next. I had a few more questions, but my phone battery died after all that time on hold. I plugged it back in as quickly as I could, but the call was dropped. I had to go through the system again. I think I got caught in a loop, so had to call in again and wait again. This time I had finished making breakfast and the second lady said she would e-mail me a list of upgraded versions and their compatibility. I looked up PE-Next and it was $500 used. That's a lot of money to spend on a really old machine. I looked up processor speeds. The Windows 98 was 32 bit and mine is 64 bit so I looked for adapter software. I found a 9-pin adapter on Amazon for the card reader, but preliminary search did not turn up an adaptive environment. I sunbathed, and then searched for more embroidery solutions. I skyped with Kurt about it. He asked if I got anything in the mail, and there was a box on the front porch. It was a quilt Mom made that needed repair. The CD drive wasn't working on the old computer so I used a thumb drive to try to get the old software to the newer computer where Kurt said I could run it in a 32 bit environment. But that did not work either. Then I found a brand new thumb drive and it did work, very slowly. I went out to check the mailbox but it was empty. I stayed out to water the plants and check the garden. I started ripping down the netting around plants that had died and came across a butterfly, but it did not move so it was probably dead. I took a pic. Then I went in for supper. The copying had quit because the drive was full, so I deleted files from the stick, slowly. I had to babysit it because it had questions from time to time. I moved the largest file to another directory and re-copied to the stick. I ate soup, and beef and kimchi. By the time the copying was finished, I was skyping with Chris. He ordered me an adapter cable. He also said he got a first class ticket to Seoul for me in October. Trying not to sound ungrateful, I told him that I would rather fly business class with him than in first class by myself. He said there might be an old laptop in the garage that runs on Windows 98 and has a 9-pin port. After he hung up, I fed Lacto and Bacilis. Then I watched an episode of X-Files, and went to bed.

No comments: