Saturday, August 20, 2016

Grrreen dress

My laptop shut down unexpectedly and I lost my blog notes. Being Saturday, we slept in. I don’t think I got up before 9, maybe later. I watered the plants, and added the two plants I bought yesterday plus some of the sweet potato sprouts to pots outside whose tenants had died. I came in and drank my quart of water while reading e-mail. I did several meditations. Chris ran the dishwasher and did laundry. I taped together all 24 sheets of paper to make the dress pattern. I cut between the pieces to separate them. I pulled up the original file to find out what size to cut. But I still measured myself and did the math to make sure it would be big enough. The sleeve seemed a little tight. But there was no way to enlarge it without changing the armscye. The fabric had one stripe that hit every 36 inches. I played around with it, to find the best placement for it. Not at the waist and not across the bust. Finally I decided to have it at the lower hem, which put the next one across my upper chest. It was the best I could do. Then, as I was getting the fabric folded in half and laid out, Chris said it was time to go to the movie. I had forgotten all about it. Star Trek Beyond. Well, not knowing if it would be shown again, I got ready and we went. I stopped to add water to some of the potted plants. I noted that something (probably deer) ate the leaves on the sweet potatoes and the cucumbers. Again. We walked to the theatre. We ran into Suzanne and her family. I had not realized they were back from vacation. She was excited to tell me all about their adventures but time did not allow it. We went upstairs to buy tickets, then sat down in the theatre. It was well attended, as far as movies go. I was thinking about my dress, but then the movie started and I forgot all about it. It was actually pretty good, although Zachary Quinn will never be Spock with that posture. When it was over, I was crying. Probably seeing Leonard Nimoy’s picture and the dedication. We walked out of the building and into the dark. There were no deer in my garden when we got home. Chris said he was going to game with the voices, but then he disappeared. I worked on my dress, basting the stripes together by hand to make sure they lined up exactly. For some reason, the stripes did not want to line up when the fabric was folded down the center. Grr. Then I pinned and cut the center back and two of the side panels. I basted two more stripes, and pinned the front to the fold. I checked in the bedroom, and Chris was asleep. I wasn’t sure if he had his alarm set to wake him up or if he was oversleeping. It was after 11. I wanted to finish my dress in time for church tomorrow, but I was tired. Actually, make that present tense. I am tired. I am posting to my blog and then might go to bed, or might stay up and sew some more. If Chris gets up to game all night, I won’t be sleeping anyway.

No comments: