Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The unexpected day

After posting to my blog last night, I read about pokeweed and how people traditionally used it for food and medicine. Then I collated the recyclables and left them in front of the door for Chris to take out in the morning.
It was after 8:30 when I got up. But at least I had done my healing visualization for my teeth. I put my Chillow in the fridge. I brushed and swished and sewed the last strip to the block. I trimmed it and added it to the Tuesday pile. I zigzagged the edges of a towel to stabilize them. I took a packet of vitamin C and ate a fat bomb. Beverly called from quilting to say the ladies wanted sheets of packing paper to make iron caddy patterns. So I packed the paper and everything else I thought of in my sewing gear and went to quilting.
There was only one table of ladies there, but the level of interest in the project had blossomed. Anita had a pattern taped to the window. She used the paper I brought to trace more copies of the pattern. Beverly showed me the pattern she copied. I turned it over and drew one from scratch using rulers. Two ladies showed me the iron caddies they had made just from the directions. Then I set up my sewing machine. Anita gave me a stack of batting pieces that needed to be joined together to make blocks. I covered two of them with strips, and took a third one home to work on.
I packed up around 11:30 and went to the Asian store for kimbap and pickled garlic. Then I went next door to see the Korean doctors. He had gotten an e-mail asking for a payment on his student loan. I called to find out what the deal was. Then I asked about her information to make sure her loan was on track. Then she had me write a letter to the owner of the space they are renting about things that need fixing. She gave me a plate of dried mango and banana plus a steamed cob of corn from her garden. When I pulled the kimbap from my purse, she said no, that the corn and fruit were my lunch and I should save the kimbap for supper. I showed her my poison ivy and she said to put onion juice on it. She also said that I am supposed to sleep with the onion juice on my head, not wash it out. Then she ran off to meet a patient, telling her husband to give me ten packets of onion juice. I stayed to finish the letter and the lunch. Then he gave me the10 packets. They came in a cute little box. I still had time before I had to go count money, so I went home.
Cecelia called just as I was getting out of my car. I talked to her while I pulled stuff out of the car and set it by the door. When the call was over, I unlocked the door and brought my stuff in. I ate over half of the kimbap with pickled garlic cloves. That was surprisingly tasty. But I was out of time, so I headed out to church. I was leaving two minutes later than I planned, but the parkway was finished so the traffic pattern was changed and much faster. I got there with half a minute to spare.
Susan was there waiting for me. We went into the sanctuary where she had taken the banner off the wall. We discussed options for it, and maybe a few other things. She told me that the church was switching out old computers for new ones and that Servant Keeper, the program that tracks the offering, was not up and running yet. So, after she left, I counted the offering, recorded it on paper for later, wrote out the deposit tickets and took it to the bank. The only fly in the ointment was a split check.
Once the deposit was accepted at the bank, I went to the farmer's market. I had my iron caddy full of scissors. I took them to the sharpening tent. They estimated it would take 3o minutes, but I didn't want to stand around that long. So I took one pair back for Thursday, and left the rest to be picked up next week. The next booth was selling pasture-raised meat. I wanted the beef heart, but she didn't have it with her. So I bought a frozen ham steak instead.
I should have gone straight home, but I forgot about the frozen meat and stopped at DATAC Computers to inquire about a new battery for my laptop. He said if I gave him the model number, he could order a battery and then I could bring in the laptop. A Tuesday or Thursday would be best. When I told him what kind of laptop it was, he said it would be best to order it from the company.
So I went home. Chris was there on his laptop. I put the ham steak in the freezer. He helped me read the model and serial numbers on the back of my laptop. If they were any smaller, I would need a microscope to read them! I called the company. She told me they had no batteries in stock and gave me a model number to look up on Amazon. So, after the call, I went to Amazon and looked up the number. I was taken aback to see that it was $80! I looked on NewEgg and the price was even higher! So I ordered it from Amazon.
I made and ate breakfast, then meditated. I almost went for a walk, but it rained on me. I texted Beverly for a pic of the barn block. Then she called to tell me about a quilt retreat next July. Jennifer and Julia texted me during the conversation, so I texted them back afterward. I listened to the speaker Jennifer recommended. I massaged onion juice into my scalp, let it dry, then drank the rest of it.
We watched two episodes of Continuum. Chris made his sandwich and went to bed. I took my evening supplements. I listened to an audio while typing up my blog post for the day. I swished as I wrote. Then it was time for bed.

No comments: