Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Global Rocket Launch Day

I woke up early, before 6. The room was hot and the fan was off. I went back to sleep and woke an hour later. I decided I might as well get up. I was doing the usual morning routine when I got a text from my neighbor. She was at the Space and Rocket Center with her husband, waiting for the launch of 5000 bottle rockets. I went to the official Facebook page and watched a live viewing of the event. I sent updates to Kurt in case he had the opportunity to watch. The launch was delayed so I ran the recycling out to the street. When I got back, the countdown had started! 35 seconds later, 5000+ bottle rockets zoomed upward! I ran outside to see if I could see anything from here, but no. I saw clouds, but no smoke.
I got myself ready, read some e-mail, and watched video on making a match rocket. Then I went to quilting, stopping to fill my tank on the way. The order of the day was to show things that could be made as Christmas gifts. I brought a big box of class samples from what I taught in Korea. Some ladies were interested enough to trace a couple things they wanted to make. I took some pics of things others had made. I talked to a few ladies. Then, I packed up my box and went home.
I listened to a podcast while making and eating breakfast. I filled the pill minder with supplements for a week. I tried to sand the nose cone of the rocket now that the nail polish was dry. But it just wasn't hard enough. I hit it with a hairdryer, but that only made it worse. I asked my neighbor to come over and take my picture with the rocket. And she did. I read some more e-mail, but then it was time to go.
When I got to the church, I turned on the computer, entered all the offering info and printed out the reports. I heard people there getting ready for the rocket event, but had not actually seen anyone yet. Elaine showed up a few minutes after I finished. We went into a back SS room and shared our doctor stories. I told her all about the new doctor I had seen and showed her the report he had given me. We cleared each other for allergies. When we were done, she went home and I took the offering to the bank.
When I got home, I drank a lot of water and went out to finish mowing the lawn. I was expecting to sweat a lot but I didn't. Grr. After mowing, I ate the rest of the heart and a can of soup. I changed my clothes. I clipped the fins of the rocket and went back to church, rocket in hand.
It was set up for launching rockets. I went inside and out the back, greeting people as I went. And showing off my rocket. Anyone I thought might be an engineer got asked about center of pressure. But no one could explain how to calculate it.
I registered my rocket at the registration table and was given #7. I went to the table where they were handing out engines. But they said mine was not quite set up for that. I guess I knew that all along. There was a countdown for the first round of rockets. And nothing happened. But after a minute, they tried again and we all took pics. On the second launch, I tried to get pics of the parachutes as they fell, but the sky was getting dark. Some rain fell. I took my rocket to the place where the kids were setting off stomp rockets. I was quite disappointed to find that the launching systems were for rockets of a smaller diameter. I launched mine anyway and the result was very disappointing: 10 feet at best. I launched a second time because the group got credit for every launch. Then I walked around talking to church people, who were standing at tables handing out food and drink. I told Stacey that I was going to build my own launch system and she asked me to invite her over to see it. I saw Jennifer and talked to her husband about his trip to Spain. I also talked to Cathy's boyfriend about tubs of fabric that he wants to donate.
People started packing up early because of the rain. There was extra watermelon left, so I took some home. When I got in, I skyped Chris. He was tired because he woke up at 4. I ate blackberries and poured some blackberry blend into an ice cube tray. I watched Dark Matter, and then Frasier. I typed out my blog post, and downloaded pics from my phone. Then I got ready for bed.
* Not the best background, but it is the best view of the rocket - before I trimmed the fins. *

No comments: