Monday, July 15, 2019

It's not rocket science

My phone went off at 7:30. I got up soon after. I did the usual morning things. I watched numerous videos of home made rockets and took notes. I listened to a podcast on EMF's. They talked about the fields emitted by dimmer switches. So I went around the house turning off all the ceiling fans. I mended a pillow and a dress. I worked my way through the supplement regimen to breakfast. Then I got dressed.
I put all the orange project pieces in a bag and went quilting. The tables were full when I got there, but while I was talking to Roberta, a few ladies left and I found a space next to Rachel. I showed off the quilt I just finished quilting. Dinah said it was ok for their purposes and took it away for donation. I set up my machine, but spent the rest of the time pinning orange layers together in a stack so I could whack them. Because two of the layers were stretched out, I needed to do extra cutting. Hopefully it will not show in the finished product.
It rained heavily. I stopped about 2:20 and packed up. I took my machine to the car, dodging raindrops. I arrived at my massage on time, but she wasn't quite ready. I raced to the bathroom, then perused the shelves until she called me back. We talked for awhile and then she realized how late it was. She left while I undressed and then came back and rubbed all my tensions away.
Afterward, I got dressed and went to her office to pay her. I did not stay long because she had another client waiting. I drank a can of coconut water and left. Ironically, I went down the street to the Asian market and bought two fresh coconuts. I headed home, but stopped at the post office. The main window was closed, but there was only mail and no packages. When I got home, I checked the home mail. Then I e-mailed the results to Chris.
I took a heart out of the fridge. I cut it up as best I could, into a fry pan. I think I had the wrong kind of knife. I browned the pieces, then added two small squashes, sliced, and three cloves of garlic. I started working on the rocket while it cooked.
I found a glossy brochure in recycling. I decided to use it for the fuselage. Then I hunted for a piece of half inch PVC to wrap it around. I found a set of PVC pieces that make a quilt frame. I wasn't entirely certain of the size, but it was all I had. I wrapped the brochure around and taped it shut. It was a little too snug so I took off the tape and tried again. The fit was better but the tape wasn't as smooth. I called my brother Kurt who had launched a few model rockets in his youth. He told me that the center of pressure had to be behind the center of gravity. I looked up how to calculate the center of pressure and it involved calculus
While I was talking to Kurt, Chris skyped me. When he saw that I was on the phone, he hung up. When I was done talking to Kurt, I skyped Chris back. He was applying for jobs. I shared my day and he shared his. But there was nothing else to say, so he hung up.
I sanded the nose cone some more, trying to reach the perfect parabolic shape. I cut some triangles out of a plastic lid for fins. The plastic was clear so I had to put a sticker on each one so I wouldn't lose them. I hotglued them to the fuselage just eyeballing the placement. I found some green nail polish that I bought in Korean for a craft project. I put a coat on the cork nose cone to smooth it out. But it was definitely going to need several coats.
I watched one episode of Dark Matter and one of Frasier. I added another coat of green gloss to the nose cone. I tried putting in a styrofoam base to dry but the nail polish ate through it and it fell. So I held it in my hand during the Frasier episode.
I got tired of holding it and glued it into the fuselage. I set it aside to dry. Then I typed up my blog post and got ready for bed.
* This is Rachel's quilt top *

No comments: