Saturday, July 20, 2019

The Dressmaker

The book on CD did not work as well as I had hoped. First I had to choose between hearing it or having AC. I turned off the AC. But I still couldn't quite make out the words, so I laid on the recliner. That wasn't comfortable, so I laid on the couch. When the narrator started to repeat herself, I ejected the CD and went to bed. However, the computer must have pulled the CD back in because the story started over again. This time I ejected the CD and took it out of the slot. Then I went to bed for good.
I woke up hearing the alarm. I got up to do the usual morning things. But instead of listening to interviews, I put in the next CD of the story. It is about a teenager who learns dressmaking from her mother and seeks her fortune aboard the Titanic, as a maid to a famous designer.
I prepared breakfast at 11. I checked e-mail while listening to the CD. Then I remembered the laundry. I pulled the blue sheets off the bed, and took everything out of the hamper. I also picked up towels and discarded clothing. I washed the clothing first.
I went outside to finish mowing the lawn. It was a nice sunny day and I began to sweat. The yard looked nice when I was finished. So I decided to sunbathe. I put on my suit and laid out on a towel. But as usual, something bit me. I never saw it and it might have been a chigger. From my recent readings, the best thing to do is wipe the bite with alcohol and immediately take a shower. So I did. Then I dressed the bite with lavender oil. And the itching stopped.
The clothing load was finished, so I put in the sheets and towels. I added my mowing clothes to that. I had some lunch. I turned on the CD again and listened to the story as I cut and arranged more batik strips. I texted Stacey to see if she wanted to watch me launch the rocket. She texted back that tomorrow would be better. Well, I wanted to try it out before that. I took the launcher into the back yard and set off the rocket. There was nothing impressive about it. I surmised that I needed a longer launch tube, so I went scrounging around the house to find a longer piece of pvc. Finally I found one. It was part of a quilt frame. But it didn't do any better with the rocket. The air pump must have a leak.
I made a salad for supper, and took the supplements that are supposed to go with it. I watched more videos of people creating amazing art by pouring different colors of paint together. Then I put the CD on again, and folded laundry. I paused it when Chris called me on Skype. He had worked all day and from the sound of it, will be working again tomorrow – after mass. I told him I was down to the third fitted sheet on the bed. There is only one more, which means I only have 6 weeks left before I need to add a fitted sheet. He said Colonel Ouff and Harold and one other guy all told him that if I need anything while Chris is gone, I should call them.
When he hung up, I tried to watch Dark Matter, but Netflix said I had watched all the episodes. So I tried a movie called Singularity. It was pretty lame in every way. I followed it with an episode of Frasier. That was much better. Then I sat down to write to my blog.
* This is what I worked on today. *

No comments: