Thursday, December 26, 2019

Christmas Day

Christmas Day.
Kurt spent the night in Dad's room. I woke up about 8. I went to Dad's room and gave him his synthroid with water. Then I stretched his legs, skimping on the reps because it was hard on my back. Then we went to the kitchen to get his dentures. I left him there and talked to Kurt in the dining room. Dad walked in and asked if I had laid out clothes for today. I said no. He went back to his room and chose pants and a shirt and put them on. When I went back there, he was buttoning the shirt. The waistband of the pants was a little tight so I just cinched the belt. He wanted me to help him write checks for everyone for Christmas, so I wrote them and he signed them. He had one for Michele, so I hunted down his collection of Christmas cards. The first one I pulled out said Granddaughter on it. I asked Chris for her address and put it on the envelop. I put a Christmas stamp on it, but it was only worth 44 cents. So I had to put a bunch of other stamps on it, which I thought were 2 cents stamps but Chris told me later that they were 24 cent stamps. Oh well.
Dad made his breakfast while I made mine, then we both ate. I pulled out the last of the hard boiled eggs. I gave Dad one, threw one to Kurt and ate one myself. Dad got a second one and then the box was empty.
Dad put on his coat and the three of us went walking down the street. About halfway, he got tired so we turned around and came back. We stopped at least once so he could rest. When we got back, he took off his coat, sat in his chair and put his feet up. We did not cue him to do any of that.

Patrick went to visit his dad in the retirement home. Faye came over. She walked Dad before the daylight ended. Chris was cooking supper. We cleared the diningroom table and set it. Kevin came over. He sat in the livingroom playing a game on his phone. I wiped up heavy dust in the diningroom.
William came over. Kurt put out glasses and Chris poured water. Faye helped bring in the food from the kitchen. We sat down to a pork roast with apples and sauerkraut. He cooked broccoli and lots of mashed potatoes to go along. We ran out of broccoli and sauerkraut. I realized there was no dessert. Not eating dessert myself, I never thought to make any for the others.
Kevin played his harmonica. Dad handed out his checks.
I sat on the couch with Chris. We opened gifts. Kevin seemed to like the massage ball. But Dad seemed offended by the harmonica. William and Karen gave me bottles of essential oils. I was most appreciative. Faye gave me lights for sewing. One even had a magnifier on it. The older I get, the more necessary such things are. I wrote checks and handed them out.
Chris and Faye cleaned up from supper. Kevin and William left. Then Faye, Dad, Patrick and I discussed
what to tell the agency people about the hours of care Dad needs. Finally Faye left to go home and get some sleep before going to work. Dad got dressed for bed and I did some very simple stretches with him. Kurt was going to spend the night there, but he wanted to watch a movie on his tablet with headphones. We looked for an adapter with no success. I suggested using the wi-fi headphones. But he needed a patch cord and could not find one. So he played the movie on his tablet and his phone at the same time, listening to the phone and watching the tablet. I helped Chris set up the hide-a-bed and we went to sleep.

No comments: