Saturday, December 28, 2019

Words with friends (and family)

I woke up 7:30. Dad had had his synthroid already. Kurt gave him a shower, and cued him to get dressed. I got ready while he put in his dentures and shaved.
Kurt and Chris hadn't much luck trading out hard drives because he hadn't a boot-up disc. I did a search and found a link for Windows 8.1. Kurt downloaded 8.1 on my laptop and tried to transfer it to a USB drive, but ran into problems. So instead, he burned it to a DVD. He and I walked Dad while the laptop labored. Dad rested afterward. Kurt left with Patrick. I got Dad and myself some lunch. I made several batches of fat bombs. I collected linens and potholders and stuff Kurt left behind. I threw them in the washer, except for two things that were too delicate. Then I took Dad for his second walk. It took about 15 minutes for him to walk to the far end of the street and back. He did not need to stop and rest.
Then I handwashed two things: a dresser scarf and a wallhanging that covers the sewing machine table. I hung those and some others out to dry. I went through some e-mail.
Faye came over, Kevin was close behind. Dad got ready and Faye put him in her car. Kevin rode with her and we followed in Chris' car. We passed a lot of Christmas light displays on the way to Karen's house. She and William made supper for all of us. Patrick was already there. We sat at their table and Kevin passed out salad to everyone. After we ate that, William and Karen fixed plates of chicken, beans and cauliflower in the kitchen. William handed them out. As we all ate, we talked about all sorts of things. The food was good and there was never a lull in conversation. After a while, Patrick left so he could walk home and see Christmas lights on the way. The conversation continued. As it got late, the rest of us got ready to go and thanked our hosts. Karen suggested we go by another street to look at their lights. So while Faye and Kevin put Dad in her car, Chris and I went to see the lights. They were quite impressive. I took pics with Chris' phone.
Then we went back to Dad's house, where Faye had already gotten Dad inside. She was cuing him to get ready for bed, to see if he could do it all by himself once told to do so. That didn't quite work because he wanted to know what he was supposed to wear tomorrow and why there was no medication set out for Monday. Faye talked to him at length. She gave him a small alarm that he could play to alert Patrick if he fell in the middle of the night. She laid on the blow-up bed and I laid beside Dad and we continued talking. Then she went to talk to Patrick about his schedule. I took my evening supplements and sat down to write my blog. Faye talked to me again before she left, and then Patrick talked to me. But finally I got to finish my blog so I could spend the night in Dad's room.

No comments: