Sunday, August 16, 2020

The bread fiasco

We got up about 7:30. My back was acting up and I wondered if it had something to do with using the inversion table last night. I started with supplements and swishing. I was doing something on my computer when I noticed it was a few minutes after 9. I tuned into the All Saints Lutheran Church service. The morning announcements were just ending. I sat through the whole service. The pastor gave a good sermon. I enjoyed seeing familiar faces during communion. I would have enjoyed singing the hymns but they were all unfamiliar ones. Jennifer played a recorder for one of them, which was a nice touch.
Afterward, I forced myself to concentrate on writing a post for the sewing event next week. I wanted to let people know that they were welcome to drop by the pavillion while Johnnie and I were sewing on Saturday to visit. I didn't want anyone to think they could drop by with their mending pile, or pants to be hemmed. I also scooped up three gopher mounds in the side yards. I guess I succeeded in moving them away from the front yard.
I got that done by noon, then worked on breakfast. Chris asked me to make him a loaf of bread. So I paused in making breakfast to add ingredients to the bread machine. We didn't have enough flour left, so he handed me a container of corn flour. I figured the gluten content would be too low, so I mixed the yeast, water and sugar in a bowl to let it do the first rising and increase the yeast. Then I threw all the ingredients in the bread machine and proceeded with breakfast.
After breakfast, I laid outside reading while getting my daily sunshine. (My condolences to those who are getting rained out in Virginia. Please send any extra rain our way.) Then I continued a Facebook conversation on masks and viruses. So many studies to read. When I needed a break, we took a walk to the post office, where we found one letter. Along the way, we saw a group of servicemen at the pavillion. They were not social distancing or wearing masks. They had a big smoker and a food table. There were 8 to 10 of them. I hoped they would not be back next Saturday.
When I checked on the bread, it was not mixing even though the arm was moving at the bottom of the pan. It was too dry. I tried adding water, but it wasn't mixing in. I asked Chris to get out the mixer with the dough hooks. There was too much dough to mix it all in one batch so I divided it into two batches. After using the dough hooks, I put it back in the bread machine, but it still wasn't mixing. I added more water and mixed by hand. I guess corn flour needs extra water. Finally I decided to let it rise in the oven and just bake it in the bread machine. So I turned on the oven for a minute, then put the bowl of dough in to rise. It seemed to be working, but later I decided to warm the oven up again. This time I forgot to turn it off after a minute. The 'ding' when it reached 350 caught my attention. I shut it off and opened the oven door, hoping it wasn't too late. Chris kept saying it didn't matter, however it turned out. So I leaving it in the open oven for a bit, I then put it back in the bread machine and let it run through the whole cycle.
For supper, Chris heated up some of the pork with onions and cabbage. While he did that, I called Faye to ask about the sore spot under my left ear. She said the dentist might have irritated it trying to move my jaw during the process of filling the cavity. She said the left side of my face looked swollen and suggested I take my temp in case it was an infection. I would have if I knew where our thermometer was. I didn't want to drive an hour each way to buy one. Then she called me on Skype so we could see each other. Dad came over to join her so I could see him as well. I unplugged my laptop and gave them a tour of the house as far as my ethernet cord would reach.
After the call, I ate some pork for supper, then made a small salad. I put topical patches on my face. Chris took his bread from the machine. It hadn't risen and was very lumpy on top, but he was unfased. I read e-mail and played Solitaire until it was TV time. Then I made a magnesium drink and a vitamin C drink. I drank the first one during the first episode of Lucifer and the second one during the second episode. Then I brushed my teeth and wrote up my day.
* This is the baked garlic that Chris made yesterday *

No comments: