Sunday, April 18, 2021

Somebody around here has company

On my way to bed, I spritzed the mushroom box, but accidentally picked up the hydrogen peroxide bottle by mistake. When I saw the foam, I realized what had happened and sprayed it with water, hoping it wasn't too late. Then I checked the worms and went to bed.

I guess I slept pretty well because I did not wake up when 5 Chinooks flew overhead. I got up about 8. I did the usual morning check of plants and gnats. I swept up a bunch of juveniles. I used the alternate supplement routine. By the Happylight, I read 2 Thessalonians 2. I forgot where I had seen the designation, but I wanted to see what they were talking about. I watched some videos on the topic, but was unable to make out the argument for believers being gone before the anti-Christ reveals himself.

I watched some gardening videos as well. One guy put a can of sardines (in water) in the hole before planting spinach. (Would it discourage gophers?) Then he recommended a foliar feed with liquid kelp. Also putting a tiny amount of powdered vitamin C can clear chloramines from tap water. 1T Epsom salts in 1 gallon of water, reduces pests and promotes germination of seeds

I washed up and got ready for church. When Chris was ready, we got in the car and went to the chapel. We had just a few minutes to speak before the service started. That's when I learned about the Chinooks. After the service, Chris talked to the chaplain while I talked to Jenni. Then we went home. While Chris changed his clothes, I talked to Michele and the other gamers. Then Chris took over and started the game.

I made and ate breakfast, and listened to podcasts all afternoon. I processed unread e-mail from 700 to 500. I was on a roll and couldn't stop. But that wasn't the plan. So around 5 I got up to see what was on the list of gardening things to do. I took a small pot with lots of tomato seedlings in it and gently separated the roots. I cut tops off of 4 water bottles and planted the tall seedlings in there, burying most of each plant. I also made a self-watering grow bag for another tomato. The bag is tall so I rolled it down like a cuff to fit the plant. As it grows, I can add dirt and unroll the cuff. Then I took my biggest grow bag and made a mix of whatever I had to fill it. Perlite, vermiculite, biochar, planting medium, garden soil, dirt from the flowerbed, and some compost. I planted the biggest sweet potato sprout in it and watered it. Chris had to bring it in, and I was pleased to see that the bag did not rip.

Chris steamed cauliflower for supper. I added a packet of salmon. I also made a salad. For dessert I had half a papaya. I watched a video on how to determin nutritional deficiencies by looking at the skin, nails, face, tongue, etc. I noted I might need biotin, B1, and A.

I made tea and cut up some rinds to make worm food. We folded the laundry and put it away. Then we watched three episodes of In Search Of, including witch doctors, the treasure of Troy, and haunted castles.

* Gallons of dirt for a sweet potato plant. *

No comments: