Sunday, October 10, 2021

A trip to the pool

Friday

We woke up around 8. Chris showered and got dressed and went to the lodge for the breakfast buffet. I stayed in the room and made my own breakfast. I watched The Highwire episode from yesterday:

From the Jan 2020 meeting of the WHO: Dr. Heidi Larson, anthropologist, director of vaccine confidence project addressing the WHO: We're in a very fragile state now. We've shifted the world's population to dependency on vaccine-induced immunity. We don't have a choice but to make that effort. We need much more investment in safety science. Another doctor said we don't add adjuvants to vaccines because we want to, but because that makes them work. They are also what adverse events are attributed to. Adjuvants ramp up immunogenicity, could they ramp up the immune system in a bad way? Adjuvants give a different response depending on the antigen they are given with. So we should do these studies with adequate size and strength to find systemic adverse events. We need to invest in better biomarkers, better understanding of how these things work so we can better understand adverse events as they come up. But long term studies might show associations with symptoms that are coincidental. Q: safety of multiple adjuvants from different manufacturers given at same time? A: the current vaccine schedule makes it difficult to tease that out. We have started an initiative to look at these types of questions. Chief science officer: “We cannot overemphasize the fact that we really don't have good safety monitoring systems in many countries and this adds to the misconceptions because we aren't able to give clearcut answers when people ask questions about deaths due to a particular vaccine...”

From ACIP meeting: until we have a study of covid vaccines in pregnant women, it's use should be considered off-label. ICAN filed a FOIA request for studies of flu and tdap vaccines in pregnant women and the response was “We have no records responsive to your request”. We have no data on the safety of giving several vaccines as once, so our policy to to give them in different limbs.

We spent most of the afternoon on our laptops. Then I went looking for my pool pass. I could not find it anywhere. So I packed a purse and asked Chris to take me to the lodge (as it was raining). He took me there about 4. I changed in the bathroom there and then grabbed a towel and put my stuff in a chair by the pool. The hot tub was full of kids. So I swam laps for awhile, about 14 I think. There was some space in the hot tub, so I sat in for awhile. But I could not see the bottom which made me think the water was dirty. Also the chlorine smell was heavy. I got out and swam 16 laps. I sat in the hot tub again, and when I got out it was 10 till 5. I swam two more laps in the cool pool, then went to the bathroom to change. It was not well set up for that, having no place to sit or hang things.

I headed toward the front door of the lodge and met Chris coming in. We got in line for dinner and were soon seated. I got the hot bar, which cost more than salad bar, but I wanted to try the pecan pork. Sadly, it did not taste like pecans. Chris got the soup and salad bar. As we ate, he read something on his phone. Finally we got the check, paid, and left. Chris drove to the gas station to fill up for tomorrow. Then we went back to the room.

I ate half a banana, then checked e-mail again. I made tea and refilled my water bottles. At 8:30 I paused what I was watching online and ate the second half of the banana. When Chris was ready, we watched one episode of a new drama called Sisyphus. Then I posted to my blog and we watched a second episode before going to bed.

No comments: