Saturday, April 23, 2022

The Natural History Museum of Utah

Friday

Chris got up at 6 and woke me up just before he took a shower. I hadn't slept well and did not want to get up. But I did. Because of the night sweats, I showered just after he did. I got dressed and filled a water bottle. Then we got on the road to the natural history museum in Salt Lake City.

We arrived about 8:45 with a target of 9. However, there was nothing going on. After using the restroom and speaking with two ladies who are archeologists for Dugway, Chris introduced me to the lady who gave him the stuffed heart. She is a native american elder who is attending this yearly event. She had a walker and was sitting down, but those of us in the conversation were standing up. That was my big mistake. She was talking about interesting events in her childhood. (She and her brothers had quite a time!)

It was close on to 10 when we went upstairs to a conference room. I managed to sit down for a bit. But then we were divided into two groups and given a tour of the museum. I don't think we saw much though. One room on the 5th floor was circular and there was an inside and an outside to the circle. Artifacts were shown as well as modern crafts. Recordings of voices speaking their native languages and an interactive panel for learning a few words. (It didn't cooperate when I tried it).

We went to the third floor where kids were interacting with geology exhibits. I could not hear the tour guide. We could see the geology of the area and boney dinosaurs. There was a 9000 year old basket, and a woven rabbit coat.

Then we went to the 4th floor to see the labs, which were restricted to students and archeologists. They had a great system of motorized shelving, all back-to-back, but space can be made between any two rows. (If only I had that for my fabric!) There were also tables and equipement for cleaning and inspecting artifacts.

We reassembled in the conference room. We chatted with each other and then were directed to get a box lunch from the back of the room. Each one had a sub sandwich, chips, a cookie and an apple. Chris gave me his apple, and I gave him my cookie and chips. I ripped the top of the sub off and ate the rest. After more chatting, we said our goodbyes, and left. I wanted to see the rest of the museum, but was too exhausted from being on my feet so much.

We went to the asian market where we got jackfruit, kimchi, and kimbap. It was cold and rainy and I wished I had worn heavier footwear. Then we headed to Tooele, with much swearing at the GPS and traffic signs (or lack thereof). I tried to sleep as the book on CD droned on. As always, it was gory and descriptive. We stopped at the usual places to shop, then went back to base.

We stopped at the post office, then went home. We unpacked our groceries. I laid down for a nap but didn't quite fall asleep. I ate part of the jackfruit. I ate the last of some things to make room for the new stuff. I read e-mail and looked at Telegram messages. Finally I wrote my blog post for today and yesterday.

I made tea and we watched the bonus episode of Columbo, which featured Kate Mulgrew as Mrs. Columbo. I think it was a spin-off that got canceled. It featured creepy dummies and a psycho ventriloquist.

Chris finished up on his laptop and went to bed. I stayed up a little later, then retired.

No comments: