Sunday, March 23, 2014

Exit stage left

I did not hear Chris' alarm go off at 3am. And apparently I missed the shower, too. But I heard him get dressed, and then he kissed me before going out to the kitchen to make breakfast. I put on my robe and followed him out. We chatted a little but mostly I tried really hard not to cry. Then he carried his baggage out to the end of the driveway where he waiting for the taxi. I tried to take a picture because it reminded me of the old song “Leavin' On a Jet Plane”. His last act of service was to check the mailbox and bring in the mail. The taxi arrived soon after and then he was gone. I went back to bed, listening to all the night sounds. I tapped. The wind rose and the rain fell heavily. I wondered if the storm would delay his plane. Eventually I fell asleep.

No comments: